Pages

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Making Choices . . .

I've been changing for several months. Two of the hardest changes so far have been to stop watching a TV series called Firefly, and another called Sherlock. Firefly was my favorite series, Sherlock not far from it.

Another difficult thing for me to lose was P.O.D.'s music. One of my favorite bands, i had nearly their entire discography (seven of their eight studio albums). In their latest album, titled "Murdered Love" (the title track being about Jesus being Love and having been crucified), they threw out a censored obscenity in a bonus track. I gave away every one of their albums that i owned.

I waited for weeks for Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn to come out on DVD. It did. I bought it. I watched a few minutes of the first episode. I turned it off because of one anatomical reference. I was furious, and moreso at myself than the writers. I owned and watched other things with the same reference before (Sherlock, for instance). I wanted so badly to watch that series . . . And i can't.

I've been asking myself why i've gotten so convicted about things i didn't really care about before. I'd fast-forward through a scene in a movie, mute it for a moment, skip a song (such as in Creed's first album).
But i'm not comfortable doing that anymore. I'm not comfortable even having these things in my possession anymore. It's become somewhat exhausting--sometimes i just want to sit and watch an episode of Firefly.
As i told a friend earlier this evening in regards to entertainment and my focus, "I've given up so many things i love . . ."
Then the reason for all of this asphyxiating change in my standards became rather clear . . . It's things i love that i'm feeling convicted about.

"Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him."
1 John 2:15

I honestly believe this is God telling me to decide between Him and the things in this world. It's not fun, not at all. If it comes to it, however, i will always choose God over anything this world has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment